Tuesday 22 January 2013

Mars bar cake

Or what to do when you have had enough of baking and need something really easy to make! I regularly helped my Mum make these; the taste of them instantly transports me to the 1980s.

Ingredients

2oz/50g margarine or butter
2 standard size Mars bars
2 cups Rice Krispies (or supermarket puffed rice cereal)
100g - 200g chocolate

Method

1. Grease and line a 20cm x 20cm shallow tin or a near equivalent.

2. Chop up the Mars bars and melt with the marge in a large heavy-based saucepan. This takes a little while and does not look pretty!

3. Remove from the heat and gently stir in the Rice Krispies. Tip into the tin and flatten with the back of a spoon.

4. When the mixture has cooled, cover with melted chocolate. The amount is up to you, personally I prefer more! Put into the fridge to set and then cut into squares.


I am now resisting the urge to crack open my "Johnny Hates Jazz" and Rick Astley tapes!

5 comments:

  1. You naughty lady!! Now I am going to have to get some Mars bars and some cheapo rice cereal to make these - I think our Knitting circle ladies would love these for a change on Friday morning - what a gorgeous sweet treat! Thanks for reminding me of these - it is absolute years since I made them xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were slightly reduced in T*sco if that helps!

      Delete
  2. I'm sure I've gained half a stone just reading those ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't many calories in puffed rice cereal - that's how I look at it!

      Delete
  3. I love to serve things like this during the summer. However I've never made these so I'm keeping the recipe to try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - I am always happy to hear from you!