Saturday 23 March 2013

Lentil and Potato Dhal

A few weeks ago I wrote a post asking for help with ideas for vegetarian meals. I have really appreciated all the replies, and will be trying out the ideas. I love the support in Blogland! Lily from Gingham and Daisies very kindly sent me some recipes using lentils. I have cooked with lentils before, but I have never made them taste good! I was a little unsure how the kids would take to them, but I was determined to have a go. One of Lily's recipes was for Lentil and Potato Dhal. It was a spiced up version of a Delia Smith recipe, available here.

Lily's version included chilli flakes and fresh chillies as well as the Madras curry powder. We split along gender lines in our house; DD and I like our food spicy while DH and DS are a little more cautious. In the end I went for a more gentle curry, and served it with some rice (and trepidation).


I was really surprised at the family's reaction. Everyone loved it and cleared their plates! DH didn't even realise he was eating lentils. I am feeling a lot more confident about cooking pulses now, and I may be trying lentil moussaka this week. I am definitely going to be including vegetarian food in the meal plan at least once a week. Thank you Lily for the inspiration!

4 comments:

  1. That looks so good! I'm off to look at the recipe as soon as I finish reading all the posts I've missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just found your recipe for lentil dhal in my spam folder! I turned off word verification for a while, and I think your comment got mixed up with the spam. I've turned it on again now!

      Delete
  2. http://frugalinderbyshire.blogspot.com/2013/03/lentil-burgers-and-dahl-recipes.html

    I'm going to try my hand at making these lentil burgers. They sound fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I will definitely be giving them a try.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment - I am always happy to hear from you!