Wednesday 7 August 2013

Liebster award


Dorothy from "Dorothy's Room" has very kindly nominated me for the Liebster Blog award. I've never been nominated for an award before! I've decided to answer Dorothy's interesting questions, but not to nominate anyone else. Most of the blogs I read either don't accept awards or have been nominated fairly recently. 

Dorothy is a craftswoman with a lovely sense of humour who hasn't been blogging for very long. We are at similar stages of learning to crochet, and she has been very encouraging over my struggles with my sewing machine! Here are her questions with my answers:

1. If you could spend a day anywhere and with anyone how would you use your time?

I would love to take DH to the Austrian Tyrol. I went with my parents when I was seventeen and I was awestruck by its beauty.

Photo from Destination360.com
DH and I would wonder in the hills with a picnic lunch and then pop into a town for "Kaffee and Kuchen".

2. What craft person would you like to meet and why?

I would like to meet Lucy from Attic 24. She is the main inspiration behind my love of crochet. Her patterns are simple to follow and she is very down to earth. She does a good line in homemade cake and frothy coffee too. Can you spot a trend here?

3. Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?

In ten years time I will have two adult children, so I suspect that I will be working. I don't know quite how that will look as I haven't been in paid employment now since DD was born. I have been volunteering in various roles in the education sector for years, so maybe something along those lines.

4. What is your greatest quality and the thing you would like to improve about yourself?

My greatest quality is probably that I am reliable and will stick with something until the bitter end. The thing I would most like to improve is my self-control. I am far too fond of cake!

5. Apart from your family, pets and home, what is the one thing you would save in an emergency?

If I am being prosaic I would say my folder with all our financial information in it. If I am being less practical I would say my Mum's wedding ring. Or our wedding photos. Or my children's creations. Let's hope I never have to choose!

6. Who has influenced you the most in your life?

My Mum! She was a very gentle and affirming lady. If I can be half as good a mother as she was then my children will be OK.

7. Who is your favourite actor?

David Tennant! Don't tell DH... For his acting ability, of course!

8. Describe a meal you always enjoy.

My current favourite is a Hugh F-W recipe for barbecue chicken available here. I serve it with couscous and roasted vegetables. Really lovely and fairly healthy too.

9. What was your best subject in school and it is still something you enjoy now?

My best subject was maths and I went on to study it at university. I do still enjoy it, but in a more abstract way. I don't sit down and contemplate second order partial differential equations, but I do think about the beauty of maths and the way the universe hangs together.

10. If you had £1000 to spend on yourself what would you buy?

Like most mothers, I would struggle to spend it on myself rather than the family! But if I was absolutely forced to I would like a better camera. Although DS has a very cheap camera and takes better photos than I do! 

11. If there was a big craft competition and you were asked to take part what would you make to show off your skills?

I don't actually feel that I am particularly good at any craft, but I suspect that I am best at knitting. I have always wanted to have a go at a lacy shawl, so perhaps something like that.

1 comment:

  1. Lesley what lovely answers thank you we are more similar than you think, I feel you are my virtual sister, always wanted a sister so hope you will adopt me! Lesley you have been such an encouragement to me to keep going, never thought anyone would ever call me a crafts woman, a huge compliment, thank you. Good luck with the competition and have a great day
    Lots of love
    Dorothy:-)xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - I am always happy to hear from you!