Friday 14 June 2013

Springwatch withdrawal symptoms


We really enjoy Springwatch in this family. (For my non-UK readers, this post may not make a lot of sense, so feel free to ignore it!) It always reminds me of holidays, as we used to take our family breaks in the summer half term. The children would be given special dispensation to stay up and watch Springwatch in their pyjamas, on the strict understanding that they went Straight To Bed afterwards!

This year we particularly enjoyed watching the webcams. On Tuesday I kept them going while doing the ironing, and actually saw a redstart chick fledge. This is a major event in the world of Springwatch. I quickly tweeted this to Springwatch, and my tweet was broadcast over the webcam! I know this sounds very sad, and I seriously need to get a life, but this made me very happy. Springwatch has now run it's course for the year, and we are finding ways to avoid webcam cold turkey.

DS loved the webcams so much that he has plans to save up and buy his own. In the meantime I have found some other nest cams on the internet. There is a very good one at the Dyfi Osprey Project which shows the ospreys featured on Springwatch. The RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) has quite a few webcams on different  reserves. They are listed here for any other nest cam addicts suffering withdrawal symptoms!

3 comments:

  1. There's a link on my blog to the Osprey webcam at Loch of the Lowes in Perthshire - there is just the one chick there. The link is the photo of my cockerel, Lancelot, in the RHS sidebar, if you want to go that way to have a look. I made the link for my convenience, but you are welcome to use it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found it! Thank you. It was a clever idea to use a photo as a link.

      Delete
  2. Ah Lesley the wonder of nature, gorgeous!
    Lots of love
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - I am always happy to hear from you!